Kapsalino Castle is located on the eastern side of the island, on the mountaintops of Atheras at approximately 800 meters. The access to it is only through a path, well-preserved, from Mavrato to Karavostamo.
The position of the Castle demonstrates that it was a powerful fortress and watchtower during the Paleolithic period and that it could supervise the entire eastern Ikaria. The view is unique from above! Today, however, there are only few surviving parts of the castle.
Information for visitors
- Access is not possible for people with reduced mobility.
- There are no toilets for the public at the archaeological site.
- There is no parking for private vehicles.
- There is no shop in the archaeological site.
- There are no organized visits.
Free for all visitors.
Access to the castle is only from a path that connects the villages Mavrato and Karavostamo. On the main street of Agios Kirykos - Evdilos about one kilometer before Karavostamo, there is a sign indicating the beginning of the trail. Alternatively, from the village center Mavrato, follow the road to the church, through a paved path.