The Archaeological museum of Agios Kirykos is located in the capital of the island and is housed in the Old Gymnasium of Agios Kirykos. A real gem for Ikaria!
The building is listed and forms a masterpiece of neoclassical architecture dating from 1925, with feature gables, stucco, a marble staircase leading to the main entrance and a big front yard. The building is two storey and was first constructed by expatriates Ikarians of America, but recently it has been totally renovated.
In the first floor,showrooms with the Archaeological collection and with periodic exhibitions are housed.In the collection, findings of Archaic and Classical periods are kept, including pots, jars, tools, coins and utensils found in excavations in the surrounding area, in the ancient city of Drakano, but also in shipwrecks. The ground floor contains the necessary administrative facilities, a conservation laboratory of antiquities and other modern facilities.
Information for visitors
- Accessibility for people with reduced mobility is possible from another entrance.
- Access to toilets of the museum is possible for the public.
- Access to the museum toilets is possible for disabled people.
- Photographing and videotaping of exhibits are prohibited within the museum.
- The Museum does not have parking for private vehicles.
- There is a shop inside the museum.
- Αnimals' entrance is forbidden within the museum.
- The Museum conducts year-round educational programs and school visits can be arranged.
Ephorate of Antiquities of Samos - Ikaria
Agios Kirykos, P.C. 833 00, Ikaria
Tel: +30 22750 23878
Email: [email protected]
The museum is located near the port of Agios Kirykos, above the central hospital. Access is only by private vehicle, taxi or on foot.