Palaiocastro (or old castle) in Miliopo is located at an altitude of about 300 meters up to the Mount Gerakas. Today, there are some remains of the walls of the castle and of the settlement that was there. The most remarkable point is the early Christian basilica of Taxiarchis or else the Prayer of the Archangel, which is the oldest Christian church on the island. The first phase of construction of the temple dates about to the end of the 4th century AD . Today, the apse of the sanctuary is preserved, a square altar and columns. Few meters away, the old church of St. Kirykos and St. Ioulita are situated.
Information for visitors
- Access is not possible for people with reduced mobility.
- There are no toilets for the public at the archaeological site.
- There is no parking for private vehicles.
- There is no shop in the archaeological site.
- There are no organized visits.
Free for all visitors.
Leaving the village Miliopo and going towards to Ploumari, on the main road, you can see the castle up on the hill. Access is only by private car, taxi or on foot.