The Folklore Museum of Agios Kirykos is located in the capital of the island and occupies the building that housed the Cultural Centre of the village, near the central Hospital. The building is renovated and in the first floor, above the Folklore Museum, the Philharmonic Orchestra of Agios Kirykos is housed. The ground floor housed an exhibition area with folklore collection.
The folklore collection includes wide range of valuable exhibits, including folk costumes , textiles and various items that showcase the island's tradition and lifestyle of residents. Most of the exhibits are donations that have made families from Ikaria to the museum, for the preservation of objects and knowledge and for the dissemination of ancient and earlier periods, to visitors and also to the younger generations.
Information for visitors
- Accessibility for people with reduced mobility is not possible.
- Access to toilets of the museum is not possible for the public.
- The Museum does not have a parking plot for private vehicles.
- There is not a shop inside the museum.
- The Museum conducts year-round educational programs and school visits can be arranged.
Free for all visitors
tel: +30 22750 24001
Agios Kirykos, 83300 Ikaria
Municipality of Ikaria
The museum is located near the port of Agios Kirykos. Access is only by private vehicle, taxi or on foot.